Have you been watching the playoffs lately? I have to confess that I am not the hugest of football fans, and with all the drama around my hometown team wanting to move if we don’t build them a new stadium, I am sort of just kind of over it. But one thing I do love, are the appetizers that go along with watching the game! You know me, I love to party plan, and I love to create delicious things that are easy to make and easy to share.
Sorta off topic, but follow me on this one. There is this amazing little Chinese restaurant down the street from our house that Abbey and I love to eat lunch at. And I always order the cream cheese wontons, because there is just something about fried cheese. They are seriously so good, and I wondered the other day what was stopping me from taking 2 of my favorite appetizers – wontons and jalapeno poppers – and smooshing them together into something new and truly to die for.
So I decided to make some Jalapeno Popper Wontons! If you like my Jalapeno Popper Chicken, you’re going to LOVE the appetizer version of them.
Poppers are a staple at our home whenever there is a big game on TV, but they take FOREVER to make, so why not these simple little snacks that will hit the spot in a fraction of the time?
- 1 brick of cream cheese
- ¼ cup Mezzetta Tamed Sliced Jalapenos, diced
- ¼ cup cooked bacon, crumbled
- Salt and pepper
- Wonton wrappers
- Oil for frying
- Mix cream cheese, jalapenos, bacon, salt and pepper in a bowl until incorporated.
- Lay a wonton wrapper on a flat work surface, and add a small dollop of the cream cheese mixture to the center.
- Damp the edges of the wonton wrappers and pinch the edges closed. Set aside and repeat steps above until cream cheese mixture gone.
- Heat frying oil in a medium pot over medium high heat.
- Fry wontons, about 5 at a time for 30 seconds, or until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot.
I love these appetizers because you can make them way ahead of time and fry them up right before it’s time to eat! They fry up so quickly – so because to keep the oil at a moderate temperature, and be ready to remove and drain them before you even start to cook them!
You can serve with a dipping sauce of your choice, but I think they are great on their own!
Having a party for The Big Game this year? Enter this Sweepstakes from Mezzetta and enter to win a 55″ 4K LED TV, and tons of Mezzetta swag! You’ll be the hometown hero on the block!
Looking for other appetizers for The Big Game?! Check out Nachos 3 Ways!