As kids, my sister had a sickly sweet obsession with Puppy Chow. No, not the bagged dog food, though that might make for a better story. She loved the sweet Chex cereal concoction made with chocolate, peanut butter and powdered sugar. My mom used to make it all the time and my sister would gobble it up. I remember it at parties, and as after school snacks, but I bet if you ask her now, she would say she didn’t like it that much. Regardless, it was around a lot and I haven’t had the stuff since I was a kid.
Seeing lots of Puppy Chow recipes pop up on my Pinterest feed got me to reminiscing, so I decided to make some, but I wanted it to taste like Christmas and I changed the name from Puppy Chow to Reindeer Chow (but it’s also known as “Muddy Buddies”).
Around this time of year, mint is a very abundant flavor. Mint Mochas, mint fudge, peppermints… you name it, it’s around. I love the combination of mint and chocolate and thought that maybe a mint chocolate puppy chow would be pretty tasty.
I was right! You guys, this is seriously so easy to make and would be the perfect addition to any last minute parties this season! I might have to bring a big bowl over to my mom’s house, just for my sister.
It also make a fantastic little homemade gift to any of your friends who have a sweet tooth (and who are we kidding here? It’s Christmas, we all have sweet tooths!) Package it in a cute mason jar, add some baker’s twine and a cute printable to it and BAM! Instant hostess gift!
Mint Chocolate Reindeer Chow
- 1 bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 box of Betty Crocker Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 1 Box Chex Cereal
- 20 "Starbright" Mints (I used peppermint and spearmint), crushed (you can also add extra for garnish)
- ½ tsp mint extract
- Melt the chocolate chips over low heat using a double boiler. (You can also microwave, but be careful of scorching.)
- Add the butter and stir until very smooth.
- Add the mint extract and stir again.
- Pour Chex cereal into a large bowl and pour the chocolate mixture of it, tossing to coat evenly over cereal. Sprinkle with crushed Starbright mints over the mixture.
- Pour cereal into a large zip top bag and add half the powdered cake mix, sealing the bag and shaking to coat. Add more cake mix as needed to get an even coating.
- Add remaining uncrushed mints to the mix and pour into a bowl to serve.
Click here to enter to win $100!
Want another chance to win? I am giving my readers an additional $10 in PayPal cash! Visit this link and then comment below telling me which of the treats shown you prefer! GOOD LUCK!