Happy Monday Lovelies! I am going to tell you a story today about the most delicious snack I ever made to brighten your day a bit…
It was a few years ago, before marriage and kids and I was in LA having dinner with my good friend, Melissa. We went to this little gourmet cheese shop and ate the most crazy delicious grilled cheese sandwich I’ve ever had. We walked around the shop after dinner and checked out all the fun snacks and libations they had to offer and I saw something; Bacon Caramel Corn.
The hefty price tag made me decide against buying it, but the DIY’er in me decided I could make it at home, cheaper and better. I used a recipe for caramel corn that a former client raved about, and subsequently emailed to me. It’s possibly the best caramel corn ever. To that basic caramel recipe, I added peanuts and freshly fried up, thick cut bacon.
Is it just me, or is salty and sweet together the best thing ever?
It seems pretty simple to me, adding bacon to anything makes it better. My husband would agree.
So I took this new found recipe, and I packaged it up as Christmas presents. We have a homemade holiday gift exchange every year and I brought a big ‘ol big tub. I even made small bags for all of my coworkers – they fought over the unclaimed bags remaining at stations left empty for the holiday break.
It was clear this was a HUGE hit.
So, I am sharing it with you, in hopes that you can bring a batch to a holiday party, use it as a homemade gift, or just send a friend home with some. And I’m also including a super cute little DIY paper clip craft to attach to your gift bags to take it from just a bag of popcorn into a precious holiday gift.
It can even be used as a bookmark!
Seriously, so simple!
- Cut out 2 Christmas Tree shapes with green wool felt.
- Using fabric glue, sandwich the shapes together with a paper clip in between.
- Attach small colorful buttons for ornaments.
- Let dry and attach to bags of popcorn.
- 2 bags Microwave Popcorn ( I used Homestyle Pop Secret)
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 6 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup corn syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ lb. thick cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ½ cup peanuts
- Preheat your oven to 250 and prep a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan melt butter.
- Add corn syrup and brown sugar and bring to a boil. Stir constantly for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla and baking soda.
- Pour popcorn onto the baking sheet and remove any seeds. Sprinkle with bacon and peanuts.
- Pour the caramel over the top and toss to coat as evenly as possible.
- Put into the oven for an hour, tossing the caramel corn every 20 minutes.
- Let cool, break into pieces and serve!
I like to use Microwave Popcorn to make my life easier. My current favorite is the Homestyle kind from Pop Secret. Plus, Pop Secret is hosting a fun contest and you can win a Year’s Supply of Popcorn! More info here!