You know what goes insanely well with chocolate? Red wine. I’ve found myself sipping a glass of red wine and gnawing on a hunk of dark chocolate on several occasions. I’ve even had Chocolate Syrup infused with red wine, drizzled over ice cream at a winery in Napa. That was a pretty amazing end to a wine tasting. I think about that red wine chocolate syrup a lot.
So taking a bit of red wine and adding to the most amazing drinking chocolate (think uber fancy and rich hot cocoa) sounded like not only something amazing, but something I needed to do.
And with the holidays right around the corner, it would make a delicious cocktail to any festive party spread. We’re taking about replacing it with the ubiquitous cup of coffee with dessert. Skip dessert. Make this dessert.
Because it’s INSANELY RICH. The kind of rich that makes you crave another mug full, but rich enough to know better.
Think of it as a holiday night cap. Because chocolate and wine.
Plus, since bringing a bottle of wine makes an excellent hostess gift, adding a pretty set of wine glasses in a basket, with a bottle of rich dark Cabernet Sauvignon and some dark chocolate, with this recipe tucked into the basket makes the perfect holiday hostess gift.
Picking the Perfect Red Wine:
There are a lot of red wines out there. Sweet, dry, full bodied, you name it. You will want to use something rich and earthy like Crios Cabernet Sauvignon from Argentina. At $15 it’s an affordable option, and it’s laced with notes of plum, dark chocolate, and vanilla spice, so the drinking chocolate pairs insanely well with it.
Crios is a family-owned brand by Susana Balbo, Argentina’s leading and most innovative winemaker. Her wines are inspired by her children as Crios means “offspring” in Spanish.
Dare to try this cocktail this holiday and let the rich pairing warm you from the inside out on chilly winter nights.
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 cup Crios Cabernet Sauvignon
- ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Bring milk to a simmer in a saucepan, careful not to scorch.
- Add vanilla and chocolate and stir until melted and thickened.
- Remove from heat and slowly pour wine into the drinking chocolate.*
- Serve in mugs.
- Top with whipped cream and chocolate shaving if desired.
- *If serving at a party with children, wine can be added to each mug instead of entire pan.
About CRIOS CABERNET SAUVIGNON:
- Inspirational message of the wine: Trust in yourself
- Life lesson and tasting notes: Susana Balbo, Argentina’s leading and most innovative winemaker, strived to make a premium Cabernet Sauvignon in the unproven terroir of Argentina.
- Even in the face of doubt, she trusted her instincts and created an elegant Cabernet that took the world’s attention, laced with notes of plum, dark chocolate, and vanilla spice.
- Pairing: Grilled or roasted meats, empanadas, chili
- Brief descriptors: elegant, earthy and balanced
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.