My sister just recently had a birthday and all she wanted was cake. She’s currently breastfeeding her son, who has a dairy and soy allergy and so she’s really limited on what she can and can’t eat and most cakes are totally out of the question. Dairy and soy is literally in everything! So I promised her something delicious and set out to create her a cupcake she could eat without stress.
Aren’t I just the best sister ever?
Since it was her birthday I wanted to create a Funfetti style cupcake. Nothing says “Happy Birthday!” more than sprinkles! If you have a serious soy allergy, make sure your sprinkles are Soy Free as well.
You can always make your own if you needed to. My nephews soy allergy is very mild, so the tiny amount of soy in the sprinkles weren’t even a factor.
I opted to use coconut milk and coconut oil as my substitutions. These cupcakes aren’t as fluffy as a normal cupcake, but they are surprisingly really good for those out there with reservations.
They can also easily be made vegan with an egg substitute, or gluten free with the addition of gluten free flour. My recipe is for soy free and dairy free, so feel free to switch it up to meet your needs.
I was super worried that these would just be unflavorful little rocks with mushy frosting on them, but they were really delicious and we all went back for seconds. It won’t make me change up my normal cake game, but it’s a good option to have.
These cupcakes are best eaten the day they are made, and make sure to keep them refrigerated, especially in the summer as coconut oil tends to melt in the heat pretty fast. Remove from the fridge about 10 minutes before you serve them.
To create the frosting swirl, I used a Wilton 2D tip.
Dairy Free Soy Free Funfetti Cupcakes
- FOR THE CAKE
- 1¾ cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 egg whites, room temp
- 7 tablespoons of coconut oil, solid
- ¼ cup of jimmies sprinkles
- FOR THE FROSTING
- ⅔ cup coconut butter substitute, like Melt or Earth Balance
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, solid
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Food Coloring of your choice
- 1½ lb. of powdered sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup canned coconut milk
- Sprinkles for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 325* and fill cupcake pans with liners.
- Whisk flour, salt and baking powder together in a small bowl and set aside.
- In another small bowl, combine coconut milk and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl beat egg whites until fluffy and stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream sugar and coconut oil together on medium-high speed until fluffy.
- Add dry and wet ingredients to the sugar mixture in alternating batches until fully incorporated.
- Fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Add the sprinkles into the batter until just mixed.
- Spoon evenly into the cupcake liners.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly pressed.
- Once the cupcakes are cool, frost using a Wilton 2D tip and garnish with sprinkles.
- FOR THE FROSTING:
- Place the coconut oil and coconut butter in a medium bowl and cream together until fluffy.
- Add vanilla, salt and coconut milk and whip until incorporated.
- Slowly add powdered sugar in batched until smooth and fluffy, scraping down the bowl between additions.
- Add food coloring and whip until the color is fully incorporated and the frosting is light and fluffy.