Jalapeno poppers are like one of the greatest things ever, I am serious. Something about melty cheese, smoky bacon and spicy jalapeno peppers just does it for me. Around here I am always trying to come up with new dishes to try – and as I’ve mentioned before, my husband is very picky. Using similar ingredients in new ways helps me create things I KNOW he will love before he even has a chance to taste it – thus saving me time and keeping wasted food to a minimum. So I decided to try something new and create a Jalapeno Popper Chicken Roulade – with all the familiar flavors of a popper, rolled up into a chicken breast, lightly pan fried, and finished in the oven!
It sounds pretty sinful and delicious, doesn’t it? The best part about this recipe is it’s TOTALLY CUSTOMIZABLE! You can make it as full fat, or low fat as you want! Not a bacon fan? First off, what it WRONG with you?! – You can totally use Turkey Bacon, or whatever you like. Gluten Free! Low fat cream cheese, low fat cheese, spicy or tamed jalapeno peppers – it’s up to you!
We like heat around here, but the kids don’t. I usually grab the Mezzetta Tamed Deli Sliced Jalapenos because I LOVE the flavor of a pickled pepper, but it’s a bit TOO MUCH heat with the amount I use.
So this dish was inspired by my own recipe for Jalapeno Poppers – but I kicked it up a notch with a crispy panko crusted chicken breast. I’m a big fan of stuffed meats – pork chops, chicken breasts, turkey – you name it, I’m all about it – so I figured why not stuff a chicken breast with the same flavors in a popper!?
So I started with some cream cheese, added some diced jalapenos, and cheddar cheese to make a spread, stuffed that into a chicken breast and topped it with bacon! Rolled it up – lightly pan fried it for that familiar popper crunch and finished it in the oven for perfectly cooked juicy and melty, cheesy chicken. SO GOOD!
- 4 Chicken Breasts, butterflied
- 1 Brick of Cream Cheese, softened
- ½ cup Mezzetta Tamed Jalapeno Peppers, diced
- ½ cup Cheddar Cheese
- 8 slices of Bacon, cooked and chopped into bite sized pieces
- ½ cup Corn Starch
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- Olive Oil
- Start by mixing the cream cheese, cheddar cheese and jalapenos together in a small bowl to create a spread.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry, and spread about 2 tablespoons of the cheese spread onto the chicken.
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with bacon and starting on one end, roll the chicken up, making sure to place the seam down to secure.
- Dredge the chicken breast rolls ups in the corn starch, dip into the eggs and then into the panko breadcrumbs, pressing to coat.
- In a large oven safe pan, add olive oil and heat until shimmering.
- Pan fry the chicken breasts, seam side down first. Flip when golden brown, or about 4 minutes.
- Cook both sides until golden brown and transfer into a 350* oven until cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Cheese mixture should be melted and chicken juices should run clear.
- Serve and enjoy!
Tell me your mouth isn’t watering right now!
So – I am excited to offer you guys a fun giveaway for a Summer Survival Kit from Mezzetta! It’s loaded with fun treats designed to make your summer cookouts a little more fun and help you Bring The Heat! What’s summer without a little heat?
Make sure you CLICK HERE to enter!
There is also a great coupon for $5 off any $25 purchase of Dixie® Plates, Dixie Ultra® Plates and Bowls, Vanity Fair® Everyday Design Collection, Mezzetta® Peppers and Olives, Banana Boat® sun care product 3 oz. or larger (excludes lip balm & trial sizes) and Wet Ones® Wipes! So don’t forget to download and save when you load up on tons of summer essentials!