Can I just let you know how excited I have been for the launch of The Sims™ 4? Oh. My. Gosh. I am not really a “gamer” I don’t think I would, or could put myself into the category that my husband and his gaming friends are in, but I can geek myself out on some Sims all day long. My obsession started back when the very first The Sims™ game came out. I installed that first disk, and the rest is history. I am not entirely sure what I love about The Sims™ more, nostalgia or control. Both are pretty nice. Over the years the game has evolved into something so amazing, and with each release the Create A Sim gets better and better. Honestly, Maxis and EA have out done themselves this time.
If you’ve never played The Sims™ franchise before let me quickly fill you in… you are basically the controller and ruler of everything and everyone. You create “Sims” or citizens in the game, you give them personalities, careers, you buy them homes and decorate and remodel, you make them fall in love with each other, you expand your family, and then stuff gets weird. My sister had a Sim abducted by aliens that came back pregnant with an alien baby. He gave birth later (yes, you heard me correctly) to a little green bouncing baby boy. I’ve had my Sims date vampires, fall in love with ghosts, and even bring loved ones back in the form of zombies. It’s not all Supernatural though… Who knows where the new The Sims™ 4 will take us?
I was so stoked to get to work on this campaign because I have been eagerly awaiting this game for a long time. I literally COULD NOT wait until last Tuesday to head out to Walmart and pick up my copy of the game.
Obviously, I had to get the premium edition, because I love Sim bells and whistles. It sounds strange, because there really is SO MUCH to do in these games, but my favorite thing is the Create A Sim, the place where you start, when you first create your sim and their family. I am a purest and usually only ever create one Sim, and I see where it goes from there. In The Sims™ 3, the Create A Sim was very advanced (you might even argue TOO advanced), and you had control over a variety of things you never got to change before, it made for a much more personalize and creative experience. Well The Sims™ 4 has taken that up 100 notches, and yet at the same time simplified it beautifully.
The Create A Sim in The Sims™ 4 is a little different at first, and takes a good 10 minutes to warm up to since the controls are so much different. It’s totally simplified, and will make your Sim creations a thousand times easier once you master it. Meet Riley, she’s going to help us learn the new The Sims™ 4 Create A Sim.
I love to spend about 75% of my time in the CAS working on the face. Before you didn’t have as much control over each body part, but with the new CAS, you have the choice to pick from a gallery of several choices (like normally), or you can actually grab the part and pull, push, stretch and smoosh it to your liking. Very fun.
Another great CAS feature I love is the makeup application (although I do wish there were a few more options, color wise…) It’s very easy to create a variety of looks, much easier than The Sims™ 3 and that odd palette feature that made you crazy. This time around you can choose from a gallery of choices from very simple to very dramatic. With multiple options for shadow, eyeliner, different opacities of lipstick and gloss, even the ability to sculpt eyebrows to the perfect arch. Men even have the option for “guyliner” if they so choose, as well.
So one of the things I am most excited for, as a hairstylist, is actually stylish and flattering hair meshes! Hello! Thank you! It’s about time. And I love that they have current styles as options as well. I decided to make Riley a little punky and gave her lavender hair with a shaved side… just for funzies. I am living vicariously through the hairstyle of my Sim.
Oh I just love it! If only I were 20 again… OK! I won’t spoil all the hair surprises… on to body shapes! I love that with the click and drag feature, you are able to create so many different body shapes! Muscular, chubby, thin, curvy, fit, anything you want! I had some fun picking out Riley’s shape and eventually went with a fit type.
Fun, right? Haha! There are even some pretty sweet tattoos up for grabs…
At this point, I was having so much fun with Riley, I figured why not just go for it… and I turned her into a hipster. I assume her backstory has something to do with at one time being vegan, but now she’s totally paleo. She obviously shops at co-ops and spends a fortune on her hair and makeup. She’s gotta cut corners on some stuff, so she lives in a tiny studio and is trying to make it big with her band. She’s a decent guitar player. So clearly she needed a bowler hat, some black frames (no prescription though) and feather earrings. The Sims™ 4 has outdone themselves in the CAS for real. Riley is totes channeling Boy George.
I also am loving the clothing options! There are some hilarious choices in here… First off, I love this little retro outfit with the ruffled lace shorts… These outfits are already styled for those who have a hard time piecing together outfits. It’s also a great option for when just trying to get the PJ’s and workout clothes done and over with.
I believe some of these might also be exclusives to the Premium edition I got, but I am not sure exactly. Ugly crazy cat lady sweater, for the win.
Even selecting traits has been simplified, and no more ridiculous “favorites” anymore. Aye. I made Riley musically inclined with confidence, creativity and I also made her a geek. One of her geek interactions with other geeks is literally arguing over which Captain is better. Amazing. No never nude trait this time (sorry AD lovers) but I did give her the cutoffs anyway. Instead of the “swimsuit” clothing option, there is a new “party” option for those nights out on the town.
And you’re done! Save your household and move them in! Easy as that. As previously, the furnished/unfurnished options are still available.
Besides the AMAZING new Create A Sim, a few of the other features I am loving are;
- Smart Phone – It’s about time The Sims™ upgraded. From your smart phone in the lower left corner, you can call your friends, travel to other parts of the map, text your friends (great for keeping the relationship bars high), ask out on dates, order pizza, hire services, and everything else you could do before as well.
- Multi-Tasking – This is so long overdue, I cannot even tell you. There have been so many times I’ve either burned my meal talking to a friend, or totally ignored someone because I was doing dishes, etc… with the Multi-Tasking feature you can do up to 3 things at a time! Like cook dinner and have a conversation, or send a quick text. It’s a nice option.
- Improved Gardening – Gardening has always been an aspiration of mine, but in The Sims™ it literally takes like 2 days to tend a nice sized garden. Not anymore. Weeding, watering and harvesting are super quick and simple, no more wasted time and draining moodlets. Plus, now there are 31 different plants you can find, collect and plant! No deathflower yet though.
- Auto Solve – Ever been out on the town, your Sim has to go to the bathroom and you can literally not find a toilet in sight? You spend so much time scanning the map for a bathroom, you come back to a puddle on the ground and drained moodlets. With the Auto Solve feature, you can click the icon of the moodlet and your Sim will Auto Solve the issue themselves. Done and done.
- Switching Between Maps – There are 2 different maps you can move your Sim into. One is lush and green with lots of grass and rivers, and the other is the desert. When going out on the town, visiting businesses and friends, you can actually swap between maps super easy. So even if you live in the desert, you will run into Sims from the other map in your town and vice versa. It’s a nice feature. I am also happy that you can play other computer generated families and houses on the map as well, I missed that feature with The Sims™ 3.
- “Buy Room” Options – Adding on to your existing home, or just making one from scratch is so easy now, with this new “Buy Room” option. Fully furnished rooms with a click of the mouse.
I am a little sad that swimming is no longer an option. I liked bathing suit shopping. Bummer City Town. But there are still lots of things to discover and collect, and I’ve just barely dipped my toes in in the past 3 days. I can’t wait for the expansion packs and to see what crazy stuff Maxis and EA have in store for us with The Sims™ 4.
Here’s one of my favorite screenshots from my game. I think in this moment, Riley understood she’d made a mistake. Awkward… One of this guys traits was “insane”. Yeah. (If you want an awesome program to create screenshots in your game, I use FRAPS.)
Be sure to enter the SIMify yourself Facebook Contest here: https://www.facebook.com/
What are your favorite things to do when you play The Sims™? Do you play evil or nice?
Special Thanks to Collective Bias for sponsoring today’s post and letting me get all geeky on you guys with #TheSims4!