Having a successful blog doesn’t only mean a lot of followers and readers, it means great content too. Keeping up with your blog, writing engaging and thoughtful posts, or sharing great tutorials, but what happens when you can’t think of anything to blog about?
The dreaded writer’s block.
So what do you do?
Luckily for us bloggers, a lot of networks offer “Blogging Prompts” that can be really helpful if you’re stuck in a rut. Below are a few from the networks I am in.
But what about when those prompts don’t inspire you? What happens when you’re still stuck?
I always take my inspiration from my own life.
- What’s happening right now? – Am I working on something? Is there a holiday coming up? Vacation? Move? New job? Write about it! You readers love hearing about your life as much as they love reading your recipe for the best potatoes ever.
- What are you going through right now? – Planning a wedding? Divorce? Having a baby? Buying a house? Dealing with illness? Sometimes people like to read about things they are also going through, looking for guidance. If you’re dealing with a major life issue, your readers might value your helpful “been there, done that” advice.
- What are you cooking right now? Trying a new crock pot recipe? Making the world’s best chocolate chip cookie? Trying a complicated recipe for the first time? I love to get new recipes! I love to share new recipes! Share them, fails and all! Humor is a good thing.
- What are you making right now? Are you starting a spring garden? Repurposing something old into something amazing? Have a killer secret to getting stains out of clothes? Share you tips and tricks and secrets with the blogging world! Your readers will thank you for it, and they will come back for more.
- What are you watching right now? Cried during the series finale of HIMYM? Confused about the misdoings at Terminus on The Walking Dead? Shocked by whatever ridiculous things The Real Housewives of Wherever They Live did? I bet your readers watch those shows too, and want someone to gab about them with! Share your thoughts with them!
Make sure when you’re writing, that you’re doing it in you own “voice”. The little voice in your head, the one that you dictate ideas to? Her? Yes, that’s the one. Use that voice! The voice you use when having coffee with friends! Not the one when calling the cable company to negotiate a new rate. Use your natural relaxed voice, and the words will flow out. Find your humor and wit, and let it come out naturally. That’s one of the top things people say to me (through email/comments/real life/whatever), how personable and relaxed my writing is, like they are listening to an old friend recount her afternoon. It’s that balance of humbleness and personality that will win you readers, so make sure you’re using that “voice” all the time!
I keep a notebook with me, and any sort of thing that happens, be it an argument with my husband, a hilarious thing my kids did, a new product, a delicious recipe, or a craft element I can’t live without, I write down those ideas for future posts. Things you may be reading tomorrow, actually happened weeks ago, but I couldn’t find the right words to convey it until yesterday. Running a lifestyle blog is all about sharing that lifestyle, so don’t be afraid to admit to things, chances are you’re not alone!
What do you do to help with writer’s block? What are some great tips you’ve tried that worked for you? Where is your go to place for writing prompts if you get stuck? Share with me! I would love to get some extra inspiration!